Doing Business in San Carlos
Every individual and/or firm that does business in San Carlos must complete a business registration form and pay an annual business registration tax.
Follow this link to the most frequently asked questions on obtaining a business license.
If you have reviewed the FAQ for Doing Business in San Carlos and have additional questions regarding the business registration process, please contact the San Carlos Finance Department:
Phone (650) 802-4213
Fax (650) 595-6725
- Business Registration Application Form (PDF , 151K) Please fill out this form, calculate the fees due and remit to the City of San Carlos. If you have any questions about the fee schedule, please contact the Finance Department at (650) 802-4213.
- Business Registration Application Form for Out of Town Businesses
If you are an out of town contractor doing work in our city, and your business location is outside of San Carlos, please fill out this form. (PDF , 22K
Paying for Your Business Registration or Renewal Fees
The amount of your total fee is calculated based on your type of business and number of owner/employees. To calculate your total fee:
1. Determine the category of your TYPE OF BUSINESS below (I Manufacturing, Retail, II Services or III Professions.)
2. Calculate the # of EMPLOYEES (including owner) based on your type of business, then refer to FEE CALCULATIONS above.
3. For Categories I, II, III: Multiply the # of EMPLOYEES by PER EMPLOYEE rate calculate your BASE FEE. If the BASE FEE equals less than $172, your BASE FEE will be $172, as $172 is the MINIMUM BASE FEE. $2197 is the maximum BASE FEE.
4. Add the BASE FEE plus the one-time ZONING FEE plus the SB1186 FEE** and the result is the TOTAL FEE DUE for your business registration.
Payment: The City takes cash, check or credit card. Checks should be made out to "City of San Carlos" and either dropped off or mailed to 600 Elm Street, Finance Dept, 2nd Floor, San Carlos, CA 94070
Credit Card Authorization Form If you would like to pay for your license or renewal via credit card, please download and complete this form, then fax to 650-595-6725. (PDF 104K)
Rules and Rates The on-line version of the Business Registration rules and rates is a hypertext document with five major sections. To get to the information, simply click on the link below:
**NOTICE TO ALL BUSINESSES***
On September 19, 2012, Governor Brown signed into law SB1186 which adds a state fee of $1 on any application for a local business license or similar instrument or permit, or renewal thereof. On and after January 1, 2013, and until December 31, 2018, applicants must pay an additional $1 fee for a business license.
For more information, please click here
Using Acrobat PDF
If you are unable to view/download the Acrobat PDF version of the form, you'll need to install the Free Adobe Acrobat Reader software.