Business Registration Information
Business Registration Application Information
San Carlos Finance Department
600 Elm Street, 2nd Floor
San Carlos, CA 94070
Counter & Phone Hours:
9 a.m. - 5 p.m. Monday - Friday (closed 12 p.m. - 1:00 p.m. daily)
Dawnee Hahn, Account Technician I
Phone (650) 802-4210 or (650) 802-4213
Fax (650) 595-6707
Forms & Information
Where do I start? Business Registration Flow Chart Starting a Business in San Mateo County from the San Mateo County Assessor's Office website.
Steps to obtain a Business Registration in the City of San Carlos
For Businesses Located within San Carlos ("In Town" Businesses)
- In Town Business Registration Application (PDF ) If your business address is in San Carlos, please fill out the "in town" business registration application, calculate the fees due and remit the amount to the City of San Carlos.
- To calculate the fees:
1) Determine the correct category for your type of business
2) Use the fee schedule to calculate your fees based on the number of employees you have
- If you have any questions about the fee schedule and amount due or you have more than 15 employees, please email or call the Finance Division at (650) 802-4213 for assistance.
- In addition to the annual fee for a business registration, all new, in-town businesses are subject to an $88 zoning review fee, which needs to be calculated with the base fee.
- If you have any question about the zoning for your type of business and location, please contact our Planning Division (650) 802-4263 *before* you submit your business registration application and fees.
- Change of business address within San Carlos is subject to a $88 zoning fee. A change of mailing address does not require a fee. Any change of address needs to be submitted via the In Town Business Registration Application.
For Businesses Located Outside of San Carlos ("Out of Town" Contractors)
Who needs a business registration?
You need a business registration in the city of San Carlos if:
ü You are conducting any kind of business for profit or for your livelihood within the city of San Carlos
ü You have a fictitious business name certificate
ü You have a State Board of Equalization resale permit
ü You have a listing in the Commercial Directory Yellow Pages, Business White Pages, the newspaper, local business guides, real estate multiple listing books or any other similar listings
ü You have a home based business
How do I get a business registration?
Follow the steps listed below to obtain a business registration:
ü You may obtain a business registration application at San Carlos City Hall or download a fillable PDF on the top of this page
ü Fill out the application completely
ü Pay the required fee and return it along with your completed application to City Hall
Appropriate permits and/or approvals from Planning, Building, Police and any other departments of the City may need to be secured before your business may start. All applicable federal, state, county and city laws, ordinances or regulations must be followed before your business may start.
The application will be processed and you should receive your registration within 1-2 weeks. Business registration fees are non-refundable.