Part-Time Summer Intern (20 hours/week)
$20 per hour
(Temporary Position – no benefits)
The City of San Carlos has a rewarding part-time, 20 hours per week, non-benefited summer internship opportunity to begin approximately in June 2015 and end in August 2015. The main function of the job is to perform municipal research and analytical work on an entry level professional basis. The intern will receive assignments from the City Manager's Office, Administrative Services Department and other City departments as needed.
The intern’s workload will be a balance of assisting in daily municipal operations and special projects. Duties may include, but are not limited to, analysis of the Climate Action Plan, scoping of potential projects and implementation of measures, applying for grants and awards, record management and research, evaluating and updating the City’s website and other special projects. The position will serve as temporary staff member, and will receive overall work direction from the Assistant to the City Manager. The primary goal of the City’s Internship Program is to provide college students or recent college graduates an opportunity to apply their academic training to and learn more about all of the various functions of municipal government. This paid internship will provide hands-on experience in the daily operations of municipal government on all levels, thus enhancing the intern’s skills and résumé for a future career in government.
· Minimum of two years study in public administration or a related field
· Knowledge of principles and practices of organization and public administration
· Interest in local government
· Strong oral and written communication skills
· Strong grammatical skills
· Basic computer skills
· Effective interpersonal skills. Ability to establish and maintain professional working relationships with supervisors, co-workers and the public
· Applicable previous experience
· Reliable, punctual and honest
· Ability to lift and move up to 40 pounds.
This is an entry-level intern position for current undergraduate/graduate college students or very recent college graduates looking for a future career in the public administration field. The candidate must have excellent communication skills (oral and written), solid organizational skills and the ability to work independently with little supervision. Basic computer skills and a working knowledge of Microsoft software, including Word and Excel, are necessary. Knowledge of website maintenance is a plus.
The Internship Program will run from approximately June 2015 through August 2015. To apply, submit applications online at https://www.calopps.org/ViewAgencyJob.cfm?ID=20513&kw.
All applications must be received by 5:00 p.m. on April 10, 2015. Candidates are required to submit a copy of educational transcripts (official or unofficial) by email to: firstname.lastname@example.org by the application deadline. Selected applicants will be contacted by April 17, 2015 to participate in an interview process to be held by April 30, 2015.
Appointment to this position is contingent upon:
*A pre-employment fingerprinting criminal history records check
Clarity, conciseness, and completeness of responses are factors considered in the qualification screening process. Each of your responses will be evaluated and only those applicants who demonstrate the best potential in meeting the City’s needs will be given further consideration in the selection process.
1. Why are you interested in being an intern for the City of San Carlos, and how will this experience benefit you in your long-term career goals?
2. What do you perceive to be the most important issue facing local governments and the City of San Carlos? Why?
3. What special skills or talents can you contribute to the City of San Carlos?