Final filing date: 5:00pm, Friday, April 7, 2017
(Supplemental Questionnaire Required)
Tentative Oral Board Panel Interview Date: Week of April 17, 2017
About the Position
The Recreation Coordinator must effectively and efficiently plan, organize, implement and direct all youth and adult athletics and related recreational sports services and programs. This position requires extensive face-to-face interaction with the community and local sports organization representatives. The incumbent supervises part-time recreation staff members and volunteers as assigned. Candidate must be organized, possess good customer service skills, and be able to work independently. Ideal candidate will have experience overseeing athletic programs including seasonal leagues, field scheduling, sports camps and year round sports classes including activities on nights and weekends. Proficiency in Microsoft Suite is required and knowledge of league scheduling and facility booking software is a plus. The Recreation Coordinator receives general supervision from an assigned Recreation Supervisor or the Parks and Recreation Director.
· Develops plans for the delivery of recreation and social services to the public in accordance with the objectives set by the Recreation Supervisor or the Parks and Recreation Director. Ensures that necessary staff members and materials are available at the proper time. Locates and oversees the placement of the required equipment, supplies and materials.
· Understands recreation and social service objectives set by the Recreation Supervisor or the Parks and Recreation Director and is able to consistently translate these objectives into meaningful service activities.
· Exhibits effective leadership and instruction skills in the recreation and social service activities for which he/she is responsible. Effectively communicates these skills and techniques to participants and staff members.
· Evaluates the effectiveness of recreation and social services provided to the public. Solicits participant input to gauge participant reaction to program quality. Uses evaluation results and past program experience to plan new programs. Effectively plans programs that are convenient to users and participants to promote high levels of attendance and facility use.
· Supervises recreation and social service activity instructors, volunteers and other staff members as assigned. Objectively and constructively evaluates their performance, promptly apprising them of how well they are performing and/or in what specific areas they should seek improvement.
· Accurately collects and maintains statistics, attendance reports, and activity records. Submits a quarterly performance report to the Recreation Supervisor or Parks and Recreation Director on activity workload and work results. Maintains accurate records of the participants in the recreation and social services.
· Handles receipts for recreation and social services, according to proper management procedures.
· Orders supplies and materials for the activities in his/her area of responsibility.
· Effectively and accurately assesses the recreation and social services needs of participants. Develops effective plans for such services, taking into account the needs, problems, capabilities, and limitations of the participants.
· Interviews and selects part-time staff and contractual employees for duty in a variety of recreation programs and activities.
· May perform minor building maintenance duties, i.e., set up, breakdown and clean-up of classes and activities.
· Prepares and oversees budget for each supervised program, summarizing results at program end.
· Keeps current of changing needs within recreation and community and social service programs. Remains flexible in ensuring necessary modifications are made.
Job-Related and Essential Qualifications
Knowledge of principles and techniques of recreation, instruction, and leadership of recreation activities; principles and techniques of supervision; program content of youth, adult, special needs, and adult services programs.