The City Attorney is the chief legal officer of the City of San Carlos and the Successor Agency to the San Carlos Redevelopment Agency. The City Attorney is appointed by and reports directly to the City Council.
The City Attorney’s Office represents and advises the City Council, the Successor Agency to the San Carlos Redevelopment Agency and all officers in matters of law pertaining to their offices and represents and appears on their behalf in actions or proceedings in which they are concerned or are a party by reason of their official capacity. The City Attorney also provides advice to the boards and commissions of the City.
The City Attorney’s Office prepares all ordinances, resolutions, contracts or other legal instruments as directed by the City Council and Successor Agency to the San Carlos Redevelopment Agency; prosecutes violations of the ordinances of the City; and provides advice to the Mayor, City Council, City Staff and commissions and on legal options and risks associated with City actions.
The legal services provided by the City Attorney’s Office include the following:
- Provide general legal counsel and representation by conducting legal research and preparing ordinances, resolutions, opinions and advice letters on various subjects, including: elections; land use; open meeting laws; public records; health and safety; and legislative procedures.
- Provide legal advice and training regarding City operations to minimize risks and potential liability, thereby protecting the fiscal interests of the City and improving the delivery of municipal services.
- Defend the City in general civil litigation and employment matters as well as prosecuting lawsuits on behalf of the City and recovering costs from third parties responsible for injuries caused to City personnel and property.
- Hire and supervise legal counsel for matters requiring specialized skill.
- Representation of Staff in administrative appeals and proceedings.
- Review, edit, draft and negotiate contracts and other transactional documents and agreements for City departments including Police, Community Development Services, Public Works Services, Human Resources and Parks and Recreation.
Report and timeline regarding Unauthorized Dumping of Dirt and Stockpiled Debris and Wind Driven Dust Event occurring on October 3, 2015: City Attorney's Report (PDF)Contact Information: