Calls and Visits from Solicitors

Home > ... > FAQs > Calls and Visits from Solicitors

Q. I have had several phone calls from people representing themselves as Police Officers, calling and asking for donations for this and that! Are the callers really Police Officers? I would like to help, but it sounds "fishy" to me.
San Carlos Police Officers do not solicit for any kind of charity. If you are contacted by someone representing themselves as a Police Officer or Sheriff Deputy, be careful. Such callers are usually employed by a company to make solicitation calls, and are paid by the number of commitments they make. The callers will say or do just about anything to get someone to commit to a donation.

You should be particularly suspicious of fund raisers who wish to send a courier to your home to pick up funds. Most legitimate charitable groups have permanent mailing addresses to receive your donations. If you are in doubt, call the Police Department.

If you really wish to help, you may donate to the charity of your choice, and earmark the donation for just about any particular task you wish.

The San Carlos Police Department has a D.A.R.E. program, involving drug awareness, recognition and education, which is partly funded by local organizations and businesses. You may donate to the Police Department? D.A.R.E. program, if you desire, by contacting the D.A.R.E. coordinator at (650) 802-4277.

Q. I keep getting these annoying "hang-up" type phone calls, where nothing is ever said. It is driving me crazy! I don't want any prosecution. I just want the calls stopped. What do I do?
 Call the Police Department. We will probably have an officer respond to talk to you, and he or she will evaluate the situation at that time. Court rulings have established that "hang-up" type calls, alone are not sufficient for prosecution. The phone company can take other action, however, based on their own investigation. The Police Department may also be able to stop the problem just by talking to the person(s) responsible for making the calls. Call us, and we may be able to help.