City of San Carlos - Neighborhood Issues


Neighborhood Issues

Home > ... > FAQs > Neighborhood Issues

Q. Are there noise limits in the City of San Carlos?
Yes, there are, though there are several exemptions. The declared policy of the city is "to protect the peace, health and safety of its citizens from unnecessary and unreasonable noises..." To that end, there are rules regarding the amount of noise any particular person shall allow, and that is normally limited to 10 dBa above the ambient noise level.

Home workshop and gardening equipment is exempt from that noise limit, but is limited to 8:00 AM to sunset, Monday through Friday, and 10:00 AM to sunset on Saturday, Sunday, and holidays.

Construction activities, though exempt from the noise limits, are restricted to the times of 8:00 AM to 6:00 PM, Monday through Friday, and 9:00 AM to 5:00 PM, Saturday, Sunday and holidays.

Q. Can we do anything about the plastic advertisement bags that are thrown on our lawns and driveways?
Not at present. Court cases have ruled that tossing of advertisements, or such similar activity, are protected by the Constitution. You may simply toss such advertisements into your garbage/recycle can and not read it, if you wish.

Q. How can I get rid of graffiti in my neighborhood?
Call the San Carlos Graffiti Hotline at 650-802-4235.

The Bureau will send a notice to the property owner requesting the graffiti be removed within 10 days of the notification. If it is removed in a timely manner, the property owner may apply for reimbursement of up to $150.00 from the City. If it is not removed, the Municipal Code authorizes the City to contract out the removal work and bill the property owner.

Q. What can I do about vehicles that appear to be abandoned?
The San Carlos Municipal Code states that vehicles parked on the street over 72 hours may be considered abandoned vehicles. By calling in the location and description of the automobile, the San Carlos Police Bureau will come out, check to make sure the vehicle is not stolen, confirm it is properly registered, and mark the vehicle.

If the notice is not acted upon, the vehicle can be cited after 72 hours and towed away at the owner's expense.

To report an abandoned vehicle, call the San Carlos Police Bureau's Abandoned Vehicle Hotline at 650-802-4236.

Q. What should I do if I see graffiti in progress?
Call the San Carlos Police Bureau immediately at 650-802-4277. The Bureau needs your help in preventing the spread of this problem. Persons caught are prosecuted and required to make restitution and participate in community work programs. Some graffiti is gang related. Most is considered "art" by the taggers. The San Carlos Police Bureau prides itself in keeping on top of the graffiti problem and thereby reducing the amount of damage to city and private property.