Community Garden Volunteer
Shifts AvailableHow to Apply?
Apply online from the convenience of your home or office. Volunteer Application Form
San Carlos Adult Community Center
601 Chestnut Street
(650) 802-4384 Contact Person:
Teagan Lazzarotti, Volunteer Coordinator
(650) 802-4218- firstname.lastname@example.orgProgram Description:
The Community Garden, located at the Adult Community Center, promotes intergenerational activities in a pesticide free garden environment, with produce grown to benefit the Adult Community Center lunch program and other non-profit organizations.
The Adult Community Center is a day use recreation center for community members, ages 50 and over. The Adult Community Center offers a variety of programs and services designed to promote health and wellness, enhance independence, promote lifelong learning and quality of life as well as strengthen community image and sense of place for older adults. Adult Community Center Hours:
Open Monday - Friday, 9 am - 5 pm Responsibilities:
• Basic gardening, such as planting, watering, and maintaining of flowers and vegetables
• Maintain record of completed gardening work, concerns noted, questions and feedback in “Garden Log Book”
• Work together with people of all ages in creating a beautiful garden environment at the Adult Community Center
• Ongoing care of the plants growing at the Center in pots, beds and adjacent plots.
• Watering, according to weather and plant requirements.
• Weeding, trimming and dead heading.
• Maintaining compost bins; watering, rotating, shifting.
• Mulching and fertilizing.
• Noticing successes and problems in garden and documenting in Garden Log.
• Identifying and labeling of plants.
• Create master map of garden areas with plant lists and care requirements.
• Sharing your knowledge with the community.
• Working with young children in the garden. Qualifications:
• Be interested in gardening and planting activities.
• Willing to follow instructions and work with the Approved Garden Plan. Time Commitment:
• Volunteer at least monthly (1 hr. per week) for a minimum of 6 months. Training Provided:
• Job orientation and training will be provided by staff.