Parks & Rec
|Our Vision - |
Our Mission is to -
- Strengthen Community Image and Sense of Place
- Support Economic Development
- Strengthen Safety & Security
- Promote Health & Wellness
- Foster Human Development
- Increase Cultural Unity
- Protect Environmental Resources
- Facilitate Community Problem Solving
- Provide Recreational Experiences
|Parks Make Life Better! |
An extensive research study asked California citizens and public officials “Why are parks important to you?” The research, sponsored by the California Park & Recreation Society (CPRS), a nonprofit, professional and public interest organization with more than 4,000 members, was used to develop the first-ever brand of the profession. “Parks Make Life Better!” is now being launched by CPRS members statewide, including the City of San Carlos.
Overwhelmingly, survey respondents value parks and recreation as an essential community service. Virtually every California household (98%) reported visiting a park during the past year. Forty-two percent visited a park at least several days a week; 26% visited at least once a week, and 68% visited at least monthly. Of these, 55% go with spouse or partner, 53% with kids, 48% with family, 46% with a friend. Only 5% of the users indicated they go alone.
CPRS used the research findings to develop the first-ever brand promise and brand identity for parks and recreation. The brand promise incorporates the benefits Californians reported as most important; the many ways parks and recreation make their lives and communities better. Specifically, parks and recreation make life better now and in the future by providing:
· Access to the serenity and inspiration of nature
· Outdoor space to play and exercise
· Facilities for self-directed and organized recreation
· Positive alternatives for youth which help lower crime and mischief
· Activities that facilitate social connections, human development, therapy, the arts and lifelong learning
In short, parks and recreation services make Californians’ lives better!