Recology Modified Bulky Item Collection
Due to the COVID-19 Pandemic, Recology San Mateo County (Recology) has temporarily suspended its On-Call Bulky Item Collection (BIC) Program until further notice. In order to meet the needs of our community, the City of San Carlos and Recology are partnering to provide this service during the County’s Shelter-in-Place Order. The City of San Carlos and Recology will be offering a modified BIC program for the residents of San Carlos. This modified program will be a drop off rather than pick up service.
To participate in the program, San Carlos residents are to contact Recology Customer Service at (650) 595-3900 to schedule a BIC drop off. However, rather than leaving your items curbside for pick-up, you will need to bring the items to the City’s Corporation Yard located at 1000 Bransten Road on the date scheduled with Recology. The Corporation yard will be open for scheduled BIC drop off between 9:00 a.m. and 1:00 p.m. Monday through Friday.
All current Recology BIC guidelines will be observed, however, the City cannot accept e-waste at this time. E-waste collection will resume once Recology recommences its regular BIC program, or you can bring your e-waste to other certified e-waste collection sites, such as Goodwill. Please see the list of Accepted Items and Items Not Accepted noted below.
When calling to schedule your BIC, Recology will review current BIC guidelines and document what will be dropped off. The information collected will include the Customer Name, Service Address, Phone Number, and Email (if available). Recology’s Customer Service Representative will also verify that the Customer is eligible for this service, which offers two BIC’s for the 2020 calendar year. Participation in the City’s modified BIC Program will be counted towards the customer’s annual BIC allotment. If the Customer has already used the two available BIC’s for 2020, Recology will bill the Customer’s account for the service.
Residents of Multi-Family Dwellings will not be able to participate in the City program. Please contact your property manager to coordinate a BIC for your complex once Recology resumes its program.
- Two cubic yards of trash or the equivalent of 12 garbage bags (32 gallon size).All trash must be boxed or bundled.
- One large residential appliance (washing machine, clothes dryer, freezer or refrigerator).Please note that for the safety of the City’s employees, customers will need to unload their own appliances and place them in a designated area of the Corporation Yard.
- One bulky item (mattress set or furniture).
- Cardboard - Must be broken down and all packing materials removed (Packing materials can be bagged and included in your allowable two cubic yards of trash).
Please note that for the safety of the City’s employees, customers will need to unload their own materials and place them in collection bins or designated areas of the Corporation Yard. City employees will be on-site to provide guidance on the program and drop-off process as needed.
ITEMS NOT ACCEPTED:
- E-waste (e-waste collection will resume once Recology recommences its BIC program).
- Liquids and sludge.
- Paint (oil and latex based).
- Asphalt, dirt, hot ashes, rock and concrete.
- Hazardous and infectious wastes.
- Construction and demolition debris.
- Materials exceeding five feet in length (lumber, pipe, etc.).
The San Carlos Modified Bulky Item Collection Program will start on:
Monday, April 20, 2020
Hours of Operation 9:00 a.m. to 1:00 p.m.
Drop Off Location
San Carlos Corporation Yard
1000 Bransten Road
San Carlos, CA 94070
Recology San Mateo County