Take advantage of Cal Water's Lawn-to-Garden Program and transform grassy areas into water-wise gardens and landscapes and receive a rebate up to $3 per square foot. Cal Water also offers rebates on water-efficient appliances. Visit the Cal Water Rebates and Programs and select the "Bayshore District" to apply.
Cal Water Smart Landscape Tune-Up Program
Cal Water offers a free Smart Landscape Tune-Up Program to help save water every day. Sign up to receive an irrigation system efficiency evaluation and landscaping improvements made at no charge.
County Wide Rain Barrel Rebate
Rain barrels are a simple way to reduce the amount of pollution that enters our waterways. Learn about the benefits of owning a rain barrel and how to receive a rebate from the Countywide Rain Barrel Rebate Program.
Water Conservation Kits
- Cal Water Conservation Kits are available for free to San Carlos residents.
- San Mateo County Energy & Water Saving Toolkits are available for free at the San Carlos Library.
- Adjust your sprinkler heads so they hit only your lawn and garden. Avoid wetting sidewalks and patios.
- Use mulch or ground cover to capture and retain moisture.
- Choose drought-tolerant and/or native plants whenever possible. Visit the California Native Plant Society for more information on native plants.
- Rather than washing your car at home, consider taking it to a car wash that recycles the water.
- Run only full loads in the dishwasher and use shorter wash cycles. Your machine uses the same amount of water whether it’s full or almost empty.
- Wash only full loads in the washing machine. Use cold-water settings and shorter cycles. One load of laundry typically uses 40-50 gallons of water.
- Fix leaky toilets. A running toilet can waste many gallons per minute; often a faulty flapper is the culprit.
- Turn off the water while you brush your teeth. You can waste up to 2 gallons of water when you leave the faucet running!
- Shorten your showers by two minutes.