GESC Tree and Neighborhood Beautification Program
A Neighborhood Tree Fund was established for the Greater East San Carlos (GESC) community as a condition of approval of the San Carlos Transit Village Project. The fund includes $83,339.50 for tree installation and neighborhood beautification, which was adopted by the GESC Neighborhood Association Board on August 17, 2021.
The funds will be managed by the City and GESC residents who receive funding will be responsible for the maintenance of the trees planted on private private property in accordance with the City's requirements in the San Carlos Municipal Code. Individual property owners may plant trees in their yards in accordance with the program policies and may qualify for reimbursement. Requests for reimbursement payment by individuals planting trees in the public Right of Way or on private property must submit receipts and a summary explanation of the tree planting to the City's Planning Division prior to reimbursement from the fund.
- GESC homeowners may apply for reimbursement of up to $1,250 in tree planting expenses.
- The fund only covers the purchase and planting of new trees, and does not cover the cost of removing old trees/stumps or other gardening work.
- All tree projects must follow the guidelines in the Protected Tree Ordinance and only trees in the Preferred Tree List may be planted.
- The homeowner shall maintain the tree for the life of the tree. This includes trees fronting the property. This includes but is not limited to regular pruning and/or applying for a permit to remove/prune.
- Applicants must include the following with their applications:
- A conceptual site plan indicating location, number, and species of proposed tree(s).
- Colored photographs showing the proposed tree planting location(s).
- Email to firstname.lastname@example.org and specify GESC Tree & Beautification Program in the subject line.
- Our program coordinator will reach out once the application has been reviewed and advise on approval status.
- Once the tree is planted, detailed receipts and photos should be submitted to the City of San Carlos Planning Division (email@example.com) for reimbursement.
- Please note: Once you receive approval you will have 30 days to complete this step.
- Funds will be reimbursed on a first come first served basis, until funds are depleted.