The City is responsible for the orderly regulation of massage therapists, massage practitioners and massage establishments in the interest of public health, safety and welfare in San Carlos.
- If this is a new business in a new location, contact the Planning Division for zoning clearance for your business at firstname.lastname@example.org or (650) 802-4263.
- If this is a new business in an existing location, go to step 3.
- Download the Massage Therapy Information Packet that includes the application for Massage Therapy.
- Calculate Your Fees Based on the Professions Category.
- Bring the completed application, items listed below and the fees in person to the Finance Counter at City Hall.
- Obtain a Live Scan background check through the San Mateo County Sheriff's Office.
Documents Required with New Applications and Annual Renewals
All of the items below are required for a complete application. Missing documents will delay your application.
- Massage business registration application (found in the Massage Registration Packet).
- Payment of fees.
- List of legal names, addresses and phone numbers of all owners, employees and independent contractors.
- Written description of all services to be provided.
- Copy of California Massage Therapy Council (CAMTC) certification of all owners, employees and independent contractors.
- Proof of application for Live Scan criminal history background check through the San Mateo County Sheriff’s Office – required of all new applicant owners and employees.
- Copy of Driver License and/or California ID for all owners, employees and independent contractors.
- Copy of Proof of Insurance (No less than $1,000,000).