City of San Carlos responds to risk of Coronavirus (COVID-19).  Click here for up to date information and resources. 

Sidewalk Vendors

The City of San Carlos Sidewalk Vending Ordinance No. 1545 establishes regulations related to sidewalk vending.  For additional details and guidance please see the Sidewalk Vending Policy.


How to Apply

  1. Complete the Business Registration & Sidewalk Vending Permit Application.
  2. On the application, check-mark either 6 or 12-month business registration.
  3. All fields on the application must be filled out. The application and required documents must be submitted in person or mailed into Finance for review. The required documents are:
    • Proof of/Certificate of Insurance
      • General liability insurance with additional insured endorsement naming the City as an additional insured. Minimum limits is $1,000,000 per occurrence combined single limit coverage and $2,000,000 in aggregate.
      • Workers’ Compensation insurance meeting the requirements of the State of California.
    • Seller’s permit from the California Department of Tax and Fee Administration.
    • County of San Mateo Public Health Permit – for food vendors only.
  4. Submit any additional information the City deems necessary.
  5. Call or visit the Finance Division at City Hall to pay your fees.

Once the Finance Department confirms the application is complete and payment has been received, the application will be routed to the Administrative Services Director for review.  If the appropriate approvals are received, a business license certificate/sidewalk vending permit will be issued.  The permit is valid for six months or one year from the date of issuance.  If the application is denied, a denial notification will be mailed.