Community members who want to get more involved with the City have a great opportunity. We offer a free nine-week Citizens Academy that helps you engage with and learn about your city government.
The Citizens Academy offers participants a number of ways to get involved with your city. Opportunities include:
- Meeting with our leaders, department directors and staff.
- Learning how individual departments operate, with complete overviews.
- Understanding how we allocate funds and how we make decisions.
- Touring our facilities and visiting upcoming project sites.
- Enjoying fun activities, like a Police K9 demonstration.
- Providing your own input during each session.
This is a unique way for you to participate in lively discussions and interactive activities with fellow community members and become a more involved and informed citizen. The Academy will continue as long as there is an interest from the community.
The registration period for the Spring 2019 Citizens Academy is now closed. Fall 2019 registration will open this summer.
The Academy is held every Wednesday for nine weeks. For each session, dinner will start at 5:30 p.m. with presentations and activities from 6 p.m. – 8 p.m. The Citizens Academy is designed for participants to go through the entire program and each session will feature a full agenda. Before community members sign up to participate, they are encouraged to check (and mark) their calendars to make sure they can attend all class sessions.