While we’ve simplified the building permit application process, it may still feel complex. If you don’t find what you need, or still feel unsure about the process, give us a call at (650) 802-4261.
Information Before You Apply for a Building Permit
Before you apply for a building permit, there is information you should know:
- Know what type of permit you need.
- Review the Forms and Handouts, Frequently Asked Questions, and Adopted Codes pages to help plan your project:
- Review our fee schedule to understand building permit costs.
- Review the types of building permits available online below to determine if you can apply for the permit you need online.
- If you can apply for the permit online, proceed to Apply for a Building Permit.
- If you cannot apply for the permit online, you can:
- Call the Building Division at (650) 802-4261 to discuss your project, or schedule an appointment for your permit application.
- Visit the Building Division during our 9 a.m. - 12 noon counter hours to discuss your project or to submit your permit application.
Types of Building Permits Available Online
- Electric Service Change
- Electric Miscellaneous
- Electric New Circuit
- Electric Sub Panel
- Electric Temp Power
- Electric Vehicle Charging Station
- Mechanical Miscellaneous
- Mechanical New HVAC
- Mechanical Replace HVAC
- Plumbing Gas Pipe
- Plumbing Water Heater
- Plumbing Miscellaneous
- Window Replacement
What is the Plan Review Turnaround Time?
Plan review turnaround time is based on the following schedules:
|Interior Remodel||1-3 weeks|
|Kitchen and Bath Remodel||1-3 days|
|New Commercial||4-6 weeks|
|Solar Installation||1-3 days|
|New Multi-Family||6-8 weeks|
|New Single-Family Residence||4-6 weeks|
|Recheck for Plan Review||10 days to 2 weeks|
|Residential Reconstruction||4-6 weeks|
|Retaining Wall||2-4 weeks|
|Revisions for Permits Issued||1 week|
|Second-Story Addition||3-5 weeks|
|Single-Story Addition||2-4 weeks|
|Signs and Awnings||1-3 weeks|
|Tenant Improvement||2-4 weeks|