Are you thinking about adding on to your house, building a new house or accessory dwelling unit? Follow the steps below.
Visit our interactive zoning map and search for the site address. A pop-up window will show the zoning designation with a link to the zoning standards.
Research the zoning information for the property. Most single-family residences are in the RS-6 or RS-3 Zoning districts. If your home is not within one of these districts, please email us for more information and requirements.
Work with a design professional to review development and design standards. If you have any questions, please
visit our counter from 9 a.m. to 12 p.m. Monday through Friday oremail the Planning Division at email@example.com. City Hall is closed through April 7 due to COVID-19 response.
Work with your design professional to prepare plans. Use the checklist and packet below to prepare your submittal. Applications will not be accepted unless they include these minimum requirements to begin a review.
Determine whether your proposal will be reviewed by the Building Division, Planning Division or the Residential Design Review Committee (RDRC).
- First floor additions of less than 400 square feet with a resulting house square footage of 3,000 sq. ft. or less (including garage) can be submitted directly to the Building Division.
- Any other additions, with a resulting house square footage of 3,000 sq. ft. or less (including garage) can be reviewed by the Planning Division.
- Additions of any size where the resulting house square footage is more than 3,000 sq. ft. require review by the RDRC. Please note if your lot is larger than 7,500 sq. ft. your threshold may be higher. Please email us for more details.
- New homes require review by the RDRC.
- If your project only consists of an Accessory Dwelling Unit (ADU), you can submit directly to the Building Division. However, to ensure that all requirements have been met, please check with the Planning Division before you submit. If your project is an ADU plus an addition or new house, you will need to submit to the Planning Division.
Submit your application, supplemental materials, complete plans and fee to the Planning Division between 9 a.m. and 12 noon, Monday through Friday. City Hall is closed through April 7 due to COVID-19 response.