City of San Carlos responds to risk of Coronavirus (COVID-19).  Click here for up to date information and resources. 

Encroachment Permit

Any person wishing to encroach into the public right-of-way or public utility easement must first apply for and receive a Public Works Encroachment Permit. Questions regarding encroachment permits can be directed to the Public Works Department at (650) 802-4200 or

Examples include:

  • Sidewalk or driveway approach.
  • Sewer lateral.
  • Drainage.
  • Grading.
  • Debris box in street.
  • Parking restriction.
  • Traffic control.
  • Monitoring well or bore.
  • Public improvement.
  • Discharge.

Important Permit Links

Submitting Permit Applications

Submit encroachment permit applications by email to, or submit in person at the Public Works Counter in City Hall. To ensure efficient handling and response, all permit applications must be submitted with:

  1. Verification of Contractor's San Carlos Business License.
  2. Contractor's Certificate of Insurance, with City of San Carlos additionally insured.
  3. Valuation of work (contractor's bid, engineer's estimate, etc.).
  4. Detailed project plans.
  5. Traffic control plan, if needed.

Grading and hauling will not be allowed during the rainy season, from October through April, unless an exception is approved by the City Engineer.

Free viewers are required for some of the attached documents.
They can be downloaded by clicking on the icons below.

Acrobat Reader Download Acrobat Reader Flash Player Download Flash Player Windows Media Player Download Windows Media Player Microsoft Silverlight Download Microsoft Silverlight Word Viewer Download Word Viewer Excel Viewer Download Excel Viewer PowerPoint Viewer Download PowerPoint Viewer