On April 8, 2019, the San Carlos City Council adopted ordinances banning smoking in multi-unit housing, the sale of flavored tobacco products within city limits, and the sale of all tobacco products in pharmacies.
Report a Violation:
To report a violation of the ordinance or for information about the health impacts of smoking, please contact San Mateo County Health's Tobacco Prevention Program:
310 Harbor Boulevard
Belmont, CA 94002
Multi-Unit Housing Smoking Ban:
- The ordinance applies to all multi-family residences with two or more units.
- Smoking is prohibited in all units, including indoor and outdoor areas.
- Smoking is allowed in limited, designated areas as outlined in Section 8.03.030 of the ordinance.
- Smoking, vaping, or otherwise igniting tobacco, cannabis and/or illegal drugs is included in the ban.
- May 8, 2019 is the effective date of the smoking ban for new multi-unit residences.
- June 8, 2020 will be the enforcement date of the smoking ban for existing multi-unit residences.
- Property managers are required to post notice of the City's smoking ban so that tenants are aware of these new regulations.
- Property managers are required to include lease terms notifying tenants of smoking restrictions in all new and existing lease agreements for multi-unit residences.
- Each violation of the smoking ban ordinance can lead to a fine of $100-$500.
- Intimidating, harassing, or retaliating against anyone who seeks compliance with this ordinance, (including intentionally exposing another person to smoke), constitutes a misdemeanor.
- Smoke-Free Multi-Unit Housing Ordinance
- Flavored Tobacco Sales and Pharmacy Tobacco Sales Ban Ordinance
- Smoke-Free Multi-Unit Housing FAQs
- Property Manager Resource: Sample Multi-Unit Housing Lease Language
- Property Manager Resource: Sample Multi-Unit Housing No Smoking Sign
- Property Manager Resource: Sample Multi-Unit Housing No Smoking Sign (Contact Tobacco Prevention Program for sample)
- Property Manager Resource: Information Flyer for Tenants
Previous Meetings and Input:
- Study Session 1/28/19 (Item 9a)
- Ordinance Introduction 3/25/19 (Items 8a and 8b)
- Ordinance Adoption 4/8/19 (Items 8h and 8i)
- Shape San Carlos Community Survey on Smoking in Multi-Unit Housing & Flavored Tobacco Sales: Results